Move On Information for Newly Granted Refugees

If you have been granted a positive decision, the below information will help you with the next steps for moving on from asylum support.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

When you are granted refugee status, you will receive your BRP card. This is a credit card-sized plastic card that proves your right to stay, work and study in the UK. The card can be used as a form of ID as it confirms your rights and entitlements in the UK.

Your BRP card will be posted to either yourself or your legal representative. You must check that all details are correct on your card and if there are any errors, report them to the Home Office. You can click here to report a problem with your new BRP.

You will need your BRP card to apply for Universal Credit. If there is a mistake on your BRP or you have not yet received it, you can use your ARC card and Home Office decision letter to apply for Universal Credit.

Children do not need a BRP card.

Opening a bank account

To get a UK bank account, you will need:

  • A form of ID
  • Proof of address.

You can click the below links for more information around accessing a bank account:

Migrant Help Positive Move On Support

Upon receiving notification of your newly granted status, Migrant Help will be in contact to provide Move On advice to assist you. They will contact you within one working day to advise of support that they can provide and schedule a follow-on appointment.

Support from the Home Office and Migrant Help is available for 28 days after your BRP card has been issued. The majority of support will be over the phone with interpreters if needed, although in some circumstances it can be in person.

Housing – Local Authority

You can ask your local council for help regarding housing. Your local council is legally required to give you advice and assistance.

You may be able to access priority need (for example, if you have children or have health needs). There are rules about who is able to apply for social housing, and accommodation is usually allocated to households based on their level of need.

If the council assesses you as a priority need, they will offer emergency or temporary housing. If you refuse the offer of accommodation and it is deemed suitable for your needs, the council has the right to end their duty to house you.

Housing – Private Accommodation

If you are not deemed priority need by your local council, you can look into private rented accommodation in any local authority area.

To secure accommodation, most landlords will require a deposit. You may be able to apply for a Refugee Integration Loan set up by the Home Office. The loan can be used to pay for things like a rent deposit, household items and/or education.

You will have to start repaying the loan six weeks after you receive the money. How much your repayments are depend on your circumstances. For example, if you’re receiving Universal Credit, you’ll pay back up to £25 a month. If you work full-time, you’ll need to pay back £50 a month.


If you find yourself homeless, there may be local organisations and charities that can assist you. Your local council will be able to assist you in finding these details.

You can search our service directory here where you can search local organisations for accommodation support.

You can also contact Shelter who can provide independent advice regarding all housing rights and can be contacted on 0808 800 4444.


Once you have received a positive decision, you are able to work in the UK. If you are not ready or able to look for work, you are entitled to apply for benefits instead.

Migrant Help will refer to agencies that can assist with applying for benefits.

Please see the below links for some further information about benefits you may be eligible for: