Housing resources

Your right to rent

In May 2021, the Secretary of State issued a letter to landlord and letting agent representative organisations which provides further information regarding the legal status of Hong Kong BN(O) status holders. This information may help when renting a properly. BN(O) status holders will either have a BN(O) visa or they can be granted Leave Outside the Rules (LOTR).

Both BN(O) visa holders and LOTR have the right to rent in the UK.

The letter also encourages landlords and letting agents to exercise discretion when asking for guarantors and referencing checks, by accepting alternative forms of reference.

Migration Yorkshire has information for landlords on the rights of BN(O) visa holders to rent.

Proving your right to rent

You can only use share codes to prove your right to rent. A share code is valid for 90 days and it can be used multiple times during this period. You can find out more about proving your right to rent on the government website.

Employers and landlords are no longer able to accept physical documents for the purposes of a right to rent check, even if they show a later expiry date.

Renting from a private landlord

Citizens Advice provide information and advice about renting from a private landlord if you have an assured shorthold tenancy. Please click the link below to access this website.

Housing rights

The Housing Rights website provides more information about your rights when looking for a home, based on your immigration status. It includes information on the legal rights renters have and how to ensure you are treated fairly when renting privately. Please click the link below to access this website.

HK Brits

HK Brits has resources and advice about renting a property.


Shelter provides information and guidance on how to rent from a private landlord or letting agent.

Buying a home

The government has advice about how to buy a home. It includes details on what you can afford, preparing to apply for a mortgage, and instructing a legal representative.